Brand Name Research
Naming Consultants with a Research Edge
Whether you're naming a business or researching the perfect product name, our proprietary Name DNA® methodologies can pinpoint the one brand name that
- Fits the concept
- Can be pronounced easily
- Is durable and elastic across time, cultures and categories
Brand Name Research Components
Choosing a name is a delicate balance of art and science. As your naming consultants, we rely on a proprietary algorithm that establishes a composite Name DNA Validation® score, utilizing the following key measures:
- Emotional Bonding Power - When naming a business or developing a product name, are you connecting with your target market? Are you measuring the name's emotional bonding power?
- Memorability - Brand name research shows memorability is the true litmus test of exceptional names. Can your target market recall the new product name after seeing it just once?
- Latent Association - What negative and positive associations exist with your new corporate name or product name? What barriers have to be overcome with negative latent associations? How does sound symbolism or phonosemantics (the meaning of sounds) affect the evaluation of a name's latent association?
- Fit to Concept - Which brand name candidate best positions your company, product or service offering?
- Pronouncability - Brand name research reveals what should be common sense: If your target market can't pronounce the brand name, they won't ask for it. Can you quantify your product name pronouncability?
- Sound Symbolism - Does the product name sound right to your target customers? If you're naming a business, does the name sound powerful and established?
Five Best Practices for Brand Name Research
- Do not rely on focus groups alone. Company names or product names that are tested in focus groups tend to weed out the weak names, but do not guarantee selection of the winning names.
- Get emotional feedback, not just facts and figures. Even among the target market, naming can be a popularity contest. But since research imitates life, the popularity of company names and product names is usually due to a variety of emotional reasons. Our proprietary quantitative Name DNA Validation® research technique makes the most of this emotional intelligence.
- Go for quality, not quantity. Brand name research for a large number of corporate names or product names with your target is a powerful temptation. Yet experience shows you will yield the most relevant results with only a handful of strong name candidates.
- Test the name with the right audience. Your new brand name must resonate with your target market. Not the marketing department. Not upper management. Not the founding fathers.
- Use the latest available brand name research techniques. Get the most out of your company name or product name investment by using state-of-the-art brand name research techniques to effectively measure and project emotional bonding power, memorability, latent association, fit to concept, pronouncability and sonorous properties.