October 12, 2011
Dr Pepper Reaches out to Men In Bold New "No Women Allowed" Branding
The trend in diet drink sales is to appeal to men. Men are, in many ways, the last frontier for this sector.
Received wisdom has it that they shy away from diet drinks because the product naming and branding is so clearly feminine.
Dr Pepper has a new drink called Dr Pepper Ten and the company is doing everything to sell the idea that this stuff is indeed macho. In fact, the new ad campaign is taking the route of "No Girls Allowed" quite literally with the tagline "It's Not for Women."
One woman blogger has reacted with some amusement about this noting that the ads, which have a heavy Star Wars flavor, seem to ignore the fact that "there are girls out there who like jungle battles and laser fights with futuristic bad guys."
More than that, she says, "The saddest part, however, is that even though this ad campaign kind of pisses me off, it does it in a way that makes me want to drink Dr Pepper Ten just to spite anyone who thinks I'm not allowed to."
This might be, in fact, what Dr Pepper expects.
The packaging is in gunmetal gray and of course it promises only ten "bold tasting calories."
I leave you with Dr Pepper's 10 Man'Ments. These are snippets of advice taken from the Facebook page:
- Thou shalt not OMG. If it's not exploding, it's not exciting.
- Thou shalt not pucker up. Kissy faces are never manly.
- Thou shalt not post pics of your outfit. Unless it's battle armor and you have a giant sword and/or small bazooka.
- Thou shalt not post furry animal videos. Exceptions made for beasts fighting to the death and bears destroying idyllic picnic scenes.
- Thou shalt not make a "man-gagement" album. That is all.
- Thou shalt not share your horoscope. Daily.
- Thou shalt not Instagram your lunch. Real men each lunch, not tweet it.
- Thou shalt not untag unflattering pics. We know you were there.
- Thou shalt not end a comment with a =).
- Thou shalt not make a Facbeook profile for your pet, baby and/or imaginary friend.
TrackBack URL for this entry: