August 14, 2008
Simplified Intel Core i7 Naming: What Does It Mean?
However, one naming component will remain the same for Intel's new generation of chips. At least the newest versions will retain the "Core" brand name.
The problem here is that Intel spins off new versions of its products so quickly (there are already two different colored logos to differentiate the "regular" from the "Extreme Edition" models). It is this speed that has shifted consumer focus from its company naming to its product naming.
Yes, it is wise naming strategy to use the recognizable "Core" brand across the board, but I'm one of those people who still recall when it was a good thing that Intel was "Inside."
Intel has now left ten million computer salespeople out in the cold after admitting that they do not want there to be any meaning behind their product naming, leaving it up to the computer sales force to explain to confused customers fifty times a day that i7 means "nothing," its actually just the upgraded Core 2 Duo.
Since Intel isn't defining the meaning between i7, I will.
- Is it like the magnificent 7, but in this case it's the Intel magnificent 7?
- Was the development of this chip completed in July, the 7th month of the year?
- Did 7 engineers work on it for 7 years?
- Or does Intel have long-term plans of competing with Apple's iPhone? (just kidding of course).
- Or perhaps the lower case "i" was a typo. You may be aware that the distance between the pitchers mound and the batter in baseball is 60' 6''. It was supposed to be 60' 0'', but someone misread the plans.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Simplified Intel Core i7 Naming: What Does It Mean?:
» Intel "Sponsors of Tomorrow " Focuses Us on Its Own Brand Naming from Name Wire: The Product Naming Blog
The news that Intel is going to focus on its core brand name is sure to be well received in the industry. Their "Sponsors of Tomorrow" advertising initiative is going worldwide in hopes that it will remind people everywhere about the core brand name an... [Read More]
Tracked on May 8, 2009 10:00 AM
Tracked on May 16, 2009 4:18 AM