November 6, 2007
Brand Naming: Handi-Vac Name That Sucks
The good news, at least for anyone who's ever experienced freezer burn: Reynolds is bringing out a $9.99 vacuum-sealing unit.
The bad news: they're calling it Handi-Vac.
If a "Handi-Vac" sounds like a wannabe Dustbuster to you, there's a reason. There are several Handi-Vacs out there already, with minor variations in spelling but the common function of providing suction.
- The Handi-Vac pick-up tool
- The HandiVac refrigerant recovery unit
- Hoover Handivac vacuum cleaners (no longer sold)
- Handy Vac wet/dry vacuums
- Hand-E-Vac medical aspirators
Worse yet, the name sounds a lot like Handi-Wrap-which is not a Reynolds product.
What's wrong with "Freezer Vac"? The domain and trademark are both available, and it would make the purpose of the product a whole lot clearer.
TrackBack URL for this entry: