May 6, 2006
Links Du Jour – Cingular Brand Name Edition
AT&T's decision to drop the Cingular wireless brand name, which I wrote about earlier this week, is generating a visceral reaction. Some I agree with, some I don’t. But what do you think?
- Although the Fresh Glue blog only commented on a part of our Cingular name change analysis, which can be misleading, we welcome all points of view.
- GigaOM writes that the name change is sensible because of the idea of a unified AT&T brand.
- brandsizzle is concerned that AT&T is throwing away the youthful appeal of Cingular's brand for the sake of a bundled solution.
- Eyes on Creativity rues the death of a successfully established brand, and considers who's going to have to foot the bill for the rebranding of AT&T wireless.
- As far as I have gone recalls dropping AT&T Wireless for Cingular, so the thought of going back to AT&T, even though it's now the same company as Cingular, is an unpleasant one.
- Branding Buzz makes the point that "the powers that be at SBC had no problem getting rid of the SBC brand for the legendary AT&T when they bought them, but getting rid of Cingular, and its hip persona, just feels like the fat guy not knowing when to stop gorging at the buffet line."
TrackBack URL for this entry: