the product naming blog

« Coke's Finally "Got Milk?" | Main | Airline and Auto Touched by the Gods »

September 9, 2005

LEGO: To S or not to S?

LEGOLEGO is a great brand with a noble goal. LEGO is derived from combining the Danish "leg godt," which means "play well" and translates to "I put together" in Latin; although the company stresses that the name etymology is totally Danish.

LEGO doesn't want to become the next Kleenex or Cellophane. Yes, Cellophane was originally a brand name.

If a consumer types in www.legos.com, they are taken to a site owned by LEGO and see a notice that encourages the consumer to refer to the brand as LEGO, not LEGOS.

From day one, Rollerblade stressed to the outside world that the brand is a product for inline skating. Most would agree today that Rollerblade has lost its battle. Have you ever heard anyone say, "Let's go inline skating?"

However, English is a very fluid and accommodating language. It is estimated that only 1% of words in the Oxford English Dictionary are derived from Old English. Furthermore, new words are being added to the OED at an increasing rate. From 1992 to 2002, over 3,500 new words were added to the Oxford English Dictionary.

FedEx logoOther companies seem to recognize the fluidity of the English language and embrace it in their brand name. Consumers were referring to Coca-Cola as Coke, and the company decided to also trademark the Coke name. Likewise, many customers were referring to Federal Express as FedEx, and the company shortened its name to FedEx.

It will be interesting to see where the LEGO brand ends up.

Posted by William Lozito at September 9, 2005 5:49 PM
Posted to | | | | |

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference LEGO: To S or not to S?:

» Nickname Game from David V. Lorenzo
When someone gives you a nickname it shows that they have some sort of emotional connection to you. A favorable nickname shows a positive emotional connection. Sometimes you can influence the perception others have of you by what you call [Read More]

Tracked on September 11, 2005 2:15 PM

» The Softer Side of LEGO from Strategic Name Development Product Naming Blog

Tracked on September 19, 2005 9:51 AM

» The Power of The Brand Name Nickname from Strategic Name Development Product Naming Blog
Coral Wireless is the latest example of a company that recognized the power of a nickname trademarked as their company name. In this case rather than trademarking a company nickname, they chose an international term for cellular phones, mobi, a... [Read More]

Tracked on September 20, 2005 12:36 PM

» We Regret to Inform You That Your Name is Ridiculous from Strategic Name Development Product Naming Blog
I read a recent Wall Street Journal article that examines the problem faced by young Leonhard Matthias Grunkin-Paul in Germany: his name is illegal in that country because hyphenated last names are simply not allowed by the state authorities. Leonhard... [Read More]

Tracked on October 13, 2005 12:34 PM

» Technology Company Emulates the LEGO Design from Strategic Name Development Product Naming Blog
I found it very interesting that the design of a classic toy created in 1932 is being used for a brand new external hard drive from LaCie. I assume LaCie has licensed the use of the LEGO design, although I found no evidence of this on their site. That ... [Read More]

Tracked on November 12, 2006 4:35 PM

» The Softer Side of LEGO from Strategic Name Development Product Naming Blog
On September 9, I reported that LEGO goes to great lengths to protect its trademark from becoming generic. If a consumer types in www.legos.com, he or she is taken to a site owned by LEGO and sees a notice that encourages the consumer to refer to the ... [Read More]

Tracked on November 12, 2006 4:41 PM

2 Comments

Seeing these kind of posts reminds me of just how technology truly is something we cannot live without in this day and age, and I am fairly confident when I say that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.

I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory falls, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could encounter in my lifetime.

(Posted on Nintendo DS running R4i DS ccPost)